PAV BHAJI: Pav Bhaji is one of the most popular dishes especially in Maharashtra. It is a spicy curry of mixed vegetables served with buttered pav. There are a number of variations in ingredients and garnishes. Few of them are:
- Cheese pav bhaji, with cheese on top of the bhaji
- Fried pav bhaji, with the pav tossed in the bhaji
- Khada pav bhaji, with vegetable chunks in the bhaji
- Jain pav bhaji, without onions and garlic and with plantains instead of potatoes
- Kolhapuri pav bhaji, using a spice mix common in Kolhapur
My Pav Bhaji Recipe:
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
- Onion, medium size – 2, finely chopped
- Tomato, medium sized – 1, finely chopped
- Potatoes, medium sized – 3, boiled and mashed
- Ginger – garlic paste – 2 tablespoons
- Green chilly – 3-4, finely ground
- Cabbage – 2 cups
- Spinach – 2 cups, boiled and ground into a paste
- Capsicum, small – 1, finely chopped
- Oil – 2 tablespoon
- Chilly powder – 3 teaspoons
- Pav bhaji masala – 2 teaspoons
- Coriander, butter – for garnishing
1. Heat oil in a pan or kadhai.
2. Add jeera, mustard seeds and wait till they splutter.
3. Add onions, saute till they turn golden brown.
4. Add the ginger-garlic paste along with the green chilly paste. Mix well.
5. Add capsicum and cabbage. Mix well.
6. Add the tomatoes and a pinch of salt. Cook till the tomatoes turn little soggy.
7. Now add the spinach paste and cook till all the water gets dried up.
8. Now add a pinch of turmeric, chilly powder, pav bhaji masala, and salt. Mix well.
10. Taste it to check the spiciness. If it’s as per your taste, add the mashed potatoes.
Also Read: Upma recipe
11. Mix well and let it cook for about 2 minutes.
12. Add water and simmer it for about 5 minutes.
13. Taste the bhaji. If it is as per your taste, the bhaji is ready.
14. If not, add spices accordingly.
Now for the pav, heat the pan and add butter. Cook the pav well on both sides and serve hot.
NOTE: Add a chunk of butter in the hot bhaji while serving.
Serve with finely chopped onions, coriander, and lemon.